DEVILS ON HORSEBACK
– Recipe Makes 20 Devils –
• 20 wooden toothpicks
• 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
• 20 dates, pitted and left whole
• 20 whole smoked almonds
• 10 bacon slices, cut in half crosswise
• Preheat oven to 400°. Soak the toothpicks water. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
• In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce and ground ginger. Place the brown sugar into a shallow bowl. Spread open a pitted date, then stuff it with a smoked almond. Wrap the date with half a bacon slice, secure it with a toothpick, dip the bundle in soy sauce mixture, and then dip it into brown sugar. Place the wrapped dates into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the bundles.
• Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature. (via allrecipes.com)